Meet our featured animal: the grizzly bear!
Here are five fun facts about grizzlies:
- During the warmer months, grizzly bears eat a lot of food. They may intake 40 kg (90 lbs.) of food each day, gaining over 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) of body weight a day.
- Their long rounded claws are the size of human fingers.
- When grizzly bears hibernate in the winter, their heart rate slows down from 40 beats per minute to 8, and they do not go to the bathroom at all during these months of slumber.
- Grizzly bear cubs are born blind, hairless, and toothless.
- Detecting food from great distances away, grizzlies have an astute sense of smell, even better than that of a hound dog!
Learn more at our grizzly bear facts page.