Meet our featured animal, the giant panda!
Here are five fun facts about giant pandas:
- Giant pandas are endangered, with only about 1600 left living in the wild.
- Giant pandas can weigh between 100-115 kg (220-250 lb.).
- One of the interesting evolutionary traits of the panda is their protruding wrist bone that acts like a thumb. This helps the pandas hold bamboo while they munch on it with their strong molar teeth.
- Bamboo makes up nearly the entire diet of the panda. Due to the low nutritional value of bamboo, pandas need to eat 10-20 kg (20-40 lb.) a day.
- Female pandas are only able to become pregnant for 2-3 days each spring!
Learn more at our giant panda facts page.