Meet our featured animal: the California condor!
Here are five fun facts about California condors:
- With a wingspan reaching 3 meters (10 ft.) long, the California condor is the largest flying bird in North America.
- California condors can soar as fast as 88 km/h (55mph) and as high as 4,600 m (15,000 ft.).
- They eat dead animals like cattle, deer, and sheep as well as smaller mammals like rodents and rabbits.
- They can eat over 1 kg (2-3 lbs.) of food at a time, and then go for days without eating anything.
- Because they have a robust immune system, condors do not get sick when feasting on carrion (dead animal flesh) despite consuming various strains of bacteria.
Learn more about condors at our California condor facts page.