Today, August 10, is World Lion Day!
Here are five facts about lions:
- The lion is the second largest cat in the world. (The tiger is slightly bigger.)
- Lions spend 16-20 hours of the day sleeping or resting.
- Female lions are the primary hunters of the pride.
- Lions can go 4-5 days without drinking by obtaining moisture from the stomach contents of their prey.
- Lions once roamed most of Africa and into parts of Asia and Europe. Now around 20,000-30,000 of these big cats live in sub-Saharan Africa, mostly in protected reserves.
If you would like to help lions, there are several things you can do. You can help save lions by writing a Letter to Lions that will be shared with African leaders. Share why lions are important to you and include a drawing if you like. You can also donate to charities like National Geographic’s Big Cat Initiative, Panthera’s Project Leonardo, or the African Wildlife Foundation.
To learn more about lions, read our Lion Facts article.